Jeff Hanson is the chairman of the board of American Healthcare REIT, a diverse healthcare-focused real estate investment trust that owns a portfolio of medical office buildings, skilled nursing facilities and senior housing communities totaling approximately $4.2 billion in gross investment value. He previously served as chairman and chief executive officer of Griffin-American Healthcare REIT III and Griffin-American Healthcare REIT IV, as well as one of the founding principals of American Healthcare Investors.
American Healthcare REIT was formed of the merger between the two Griffin-American Healthcare REITs and the acquisition of American Healthcare Investors, which had been the largest privately held healthcare real estate investment firm globally.
Hanson also served as chairman and CEO of the firm’s prior REIT, Griffin-American Healthcare REIT II, which built a portfolio of international healthcare real estate valued at approximately $3 billion. Griffin-American Healthcare REIT II was sold in December 2014 to NorthStar Realty Finance (NYSE: NRF), now Colony Capital (NYSE: CLNY), in a transaction valued at $4 billion.
Prior to founding American Healthcare Investors, Hanson served as one of five executive officers of Grubb & Ellis Company (NYSE: GBE). In this role, he operated in a dual-capacity as CEO of the firm’s investment management subsidiary, Grubb & Ellis Equity Advisors, and as chairman and CEO of Grubb & Ellis Healthcare REIT II (later renamed Griffin-American Healthcare REIT II). He led this 600-employee national investment management platform, comprised of public non-traded REITs, institutional joint ventures, separate accounts, and private syndications, from 2006 to the point at which American Healthcare Investors was founded to absorb Grubb & Ellis’ healthcare REIT business.
Hanson earned a Bachelor of Science in business administration with a dual emphasis in corporate and real estate finance from the University of Southern California. He currently resides in Laguna Hills with his wife and four children.
Current Board Roles
- American Healthcare REIT (chairman)
- Fountain of Life – Antioch (board member)
- Frontline Covid-19 Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC Alliance) (audit committee chair)
- The Unity Project (chairman)
Previous Board Roles
- Forum of Christian Business Leaders (board chair)
- Fuller Theological Seminary (trustee)
- Sterling College (trustee)
- Young Presidents’ Organization (board member)
- Griffin-American Healthcare REIT II (board chair)
- Griffin-American Healthcare REIT III (board chair)
- Griffin-American Healthcare REIT IV (board chair)
- World Presidents’ Organization (board member)
- On September 29, 2021